TROPICS FOOD – A wonderfully light sponge filled with caramel and delicious coffee syrup, topped off with sweet mascarpone cream.
- 180g (6 1/2oz) butter, softened
- 180g (6 1/2oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 180g (6 1/2oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp Billington’s golden granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp carnation caramel
- 125g (4oz) mascarpone
- 50g icing sugar
- 125ml double cream
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla with an electric whisk, until fluffy. Add the eggs and flour; beat well. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 20 minutes, until risen and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make a coffee syrup. Put the coffee and granulated sugar in a pan with 3 tbsp just-boiled water. Stir, over a gentle heat, until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Hollow out a small lid from the middle of each cake and fill with a little coffee syrup and 1 tsp of caramel. Return the lids to each cake, trimming as needed.
- Combine the mascarpone with the icing sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until thickened. Add the mascarpone, one third at a time, mixing until combined. Spread the mixture over the cakes and chill for 30 minutes to firm up. To serve, dust with cocoa powder.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing if called for. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost, loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.