TROPICS FOOD – Inspired by the coffee culture in Australia and New Zealand, our love of all things coffee has exploded here in Britain. Try starting the day with a refreshing iced coffee instead of your normal brew. You’ll need to prepare it the night (or at least five hours) before, but it’s well worth it as real iced coffee tastes so much better than hot coffee that’s been left to go cold; it’s wonderfully mellow with no hint of bitterness.
- 150g Colombian ground coffee
- 75g Demerara sugar
- 450ml full-fat milk
- whipped cream or ice cream to serve, optional
- Put the coffee in a large jug or jar and add 1 ltr cold water. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are gone. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 5 hrs or overnight.
- Put the sugar in a small pan with 200ml water and heat until the sugar dissolves. Pour into a container and cool.
- Before serving, strain the coffee through a coffee filter or a sieve lined with double-thickness kitchen paper. Put in a large jug and stir in the sugar syrup.
- Divide between 6 tall glasses and add the milk. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if liked.