- olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2oz) pancetta cubes
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 200g (7oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 200ml (1/3pt) cold chicken stock
- 75ml (3fl oz) white wine (optional)
- handful of thyme leaves
- 75g (3oz) crème fraîche
- 200g (7oz) cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 2 x 375g packs ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pan. Add the pancetta and cook for a few minutes, until just starting to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, fry the leek and mushrooms for 5-10 minutes, until cooked (add a little extra oil, if needed).
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Return the pancetta to the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the stock, white wine (if using) and thyme. Season well and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly, then stir in the crème fraîche and chicken.
- Roll out half the pastry until large enough to line the base of around 20cm (8in) pie dish. Spoon the chicken mixture on top. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into long ribbons about 1.5cm wide. Weave the strips over the filling to create a lattice effect, then trim and discard any over-hanging dough. Press down around the edges to neaten and seal.
- Brush the pastry lattice all over with the beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is piping hot and the pastry is golden.
Tip: To avoid a soggy bottom, pop your pie dish on a preheated baking sheet – the heat will help the base cook quicker.