TROPICS FOOD – A brilliant twist on the classic baked cheesecake, made with cream cheese laced with coffee on a base of chocolate digestives.
- 175g (6oz) crushed dark chocolate digestives
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 50g (2oz) melted butter
- 250g (8oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 625g light cream cheese
- 250g (8oz) reduced-fat mascarpone
- 4 medium eggs
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tbsp instant coffee granules
- 300ml (10fl oz) sour cream
- 200ml (7fl oz) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 140°C. Line a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin with nonstick baking paper. Sit the tin on a baking tray.
- Mix the crushed dark chocolate digestives, the ground almonds, 1 tbsp dark brown sugar and the melted butter. Press the mixture into the base of the cake tin, and slightly up the sides.
- Mix 250g of the golden caster sugar and 1 heaped tbsp cornflour with the light cream cheese and the reduced-fat mascarpone.
- Add the eggs, one by one, beating with a wooden spoon, followed by 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 heaped tbsp instant coffee granules and 300ml sour cream.
- Pour into the tin and bake on the middle shelf for 1 hr 20 mins. Turn off the oven, open the door slightly, and allow the cake to cool.
- Mix together 200ml reduced-fat sour cream, 1 tbsp golden caster sugar and 2 tsp lemon juice and spread over the cheesecake.
- Chill for at least 4 hrs or overnight. Sift 1 tbsp cocoa powder over the cheesecake before serving.